Today, I have chosen to take a day of rest. Yeap, That’s right, a WHOLE DAY ( well we’ll see if that sticks)
So nice out!! And the Buckets are FULL!! I love rain water for the garden and hair!! So I have quite a few ALL FILLED UP already!
So Why a rest day?
- Builds Strength by allowing muscles to restore
- Replenish Glycogen
- Reduce Fatigue
- Prevents injury
- Increases Blood Volume
- Improves endurance
Rest days do not have to be FULL ON NOTHING DAYS. They can be just a far lighter workout than you have been doing. I read in Runners World Magazine, that German Silva (2 time NYC marathon Winner) would lightly jog 3 miles on his rest day, focusing on keeping his heart rate below the 60% of Maximum. This served to loosen his muscles and Relax his mind.
So I am no Marathon Runner, so a 3 mile jog is NOT resting to me so far. So what do we do on rest days?
You can do nothing at all OR
You can do a light jog or walk.
A 15 minute yoga session.
Go for a Swim.
Or just Vegg.
This is a Great day to do a Light Fast, All raw or juicing.
HUH? You ask what will I be doing today???
I will just be relaxing, may hap some stretching as tomorrow is Day 1 of Week 3 of Pooch to 5 k.
So Off to Rest I go!!
To Your Finest Life!
727 945 2193
- What is the most overlooked element in proper training? Rest. (crossfitwfn.typepad.com)
- Marathon running (economist.com)
- A Runner’s Take on Bikram Yoga: Interview with Melissa (bikramyogamusings.com)
- Training Slower to Race Faster (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- And on the 4th day we rest (ruggedelite.com)